Friday, July 15, 2005

Recipe Fridays

Let's see how long I can keep this up. My goal is to dish out (haha, get it?) at least one of my favorite recipes every Friday. Just in time for the weekend. Who knows, maybe you'll send me some ideas for something new to cook.
This week's selection: Salads. Summer is a great time for salads. Around here we normally have too much lettuce growing in the garden and this year I'm trying to cut back on all the fat, so salads have been popular in our house this spring. I'm going to share my secret recipe for Honey Mustard Dressing that everyone has been bugging me to share. I'm also putting up a new one, Greek Mixed Green Salad. We had this one for Forth of July and it seemed to be a big hit. Try grilling up some chicken, toss it with the salad, and stuff it in a pita or a wrap. Makes a great lunch.
Hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think and pass on any suggestions of what you want to see next.

Honey Mustard Dressing
2 tbls honey
2 tbls whole grain mustard (I like the Fred Meyer Whole Grain Mustard w/ Garlic the best)
2 tbls red wine vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper

In a medium size bowl whisk together the honey, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly (and I mean slowly. Patience will be rewarded) add the oil in a steady stream while whisking. Whisk until all the oil is added and the mixture is emulsified.

Greek Mixed Green Salad
4 cups mixed green lettuce
2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1/2 cup pealed and diced cucumber
1/2 cup diced roma tomatoes
1/2 cup roughly chopped green olives
1/4 cup drained and diced pepperchinis
4 oz crumbled feta cheese
Greek Feta Salad Dressing to taste (I prefer Girard’s Greek Feta Vinaigrette.)

Add all the ingredients to a bowl and toss to mix thoroughly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home