Thursday, August 04, 2005

Are we really that shallow?

*** Warning, agitated blogger post below. Stop reading unless you can stand the yelling.***


OK, I'm tired of hearing all the negative comments and deep reviews of these Dove commercials. I'm sure you've all heard about them over the last couple of months and if you haven't, you've been living in a cave or never turn on the 6:00 news.
I really would love to know if society in general is so shallow that we can't accept people for who they are. I know we all strive to be better looking, more athletic, more talented, etc., but it has gone too far. I know there is some sort of primeval nature that drives us humans to look for the "perfect" body and that we feel that we're not accepted if we don't look that way, but come on, we're smarter than that. Or at least I thought we were. 99% of the population on this planet doesn't have the "perfect" body. That's why not everyone can walk into an advertising agency looking for a job. But why do we have to compare everyone to that 1% that we find "ideal" and then criticize each other for not looking like that? It must stop.
The women in these ads are not the average American women, and I understand that Dove doesn't just want to jump off the bridge and have everyone watch by putting the average women in their ads. But they should be commended for at least recognizing that we're a bunch of stupid people that don't take the time to look at the beautiful person sitting next to us, no matter what their shape or weight. I would encourage everyone to go buy their products just for the fact that they deserve to be recognized for a great effort. It's sad that no one looks at as if it was a great thing to do. The company has made a ton of people think about what their perception of beauty is and it's too bad that some of us still are so stupid that they'd actually say "Really, the only time I want to see a thigh that big is in a bucket with bread crumbs on it." Come on, is that smart?
I'm married to the most beautiful woman in the world. I find her beauty in more than just her looks. It's everything about her that makes her beautiful; her kindness, her strength, her understanding... I could go on all day. Beauty is more than skin deep and everyone out there needs to figure that out. It will not be long enough before I read one more story about these Dove ads and I can only hope the next one I read is an apology from society for being so stupid for so long.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Umm. What commercials?

2:35 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

The world is over. I quit.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home