Thursday, March 02, 2006

Bigs and Littles

Yesterday my little bro decided to become a big brother. With that I learned today that he will become a "Big" and will look after a "Little". That's Big Brother, Big Sister lingo for those that didn't know (I didn't, so don't feel bad).
For those of you that know Mike, he's not that big on little kids. I should know. It took him until both of my kids were walking and running before he would have anything to do with them. I don't blame him. Kid's are scary, even more so when they're not yours. So, for Mike this is a big deal for him to be taking this step.
It's hard to watch him grow up. I grew up way too fast due to circumstances in my life, but he's always been that free spirit of a little brother to me. To be honest, sometimes I wish I was able to be that way. But, over the last couple of years he's done some growing up. He's moved away from home, gotten married, started a new job, and built a house. Everyone keeps asking him when are the kid's coming. His normal response is something like, "Why would I subject myself to all of that when there are too many people on the planet already". I know he doesn't mean it. He may not be ready for kids now, or ever for that matter. That's just the way some people are and that's OK. I know having kids is tough, but they do bring such little moments of joy that make it all worth while. He may not be ready, but I'm proud to see that he's taking an interest in some child's life as he does have a lot to share.
I know I've been the big brother for all this time and I hope I've passed on some sort of wisdom to my little bro. Something he may find of value in his quest to be a big brother. I know some little bro is waiting for someone fun, but also someone that can share the wisdom of being older and wiser. Good luck little bro. I'm sure you'll make a fine Big.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Thanks man. Expect to answer a few questions along the way. I'm sure I'll need the help.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home