Friday, October 20, 2006

Hello World

So, someone got on my case the other day saying that I haven’t been blogging much. I didn’t argue with the basic facts, but I did mention I had intentions to blog on many occasions, but couldn’t find the time to do it. So, as I sit here watching the little processing bar cycle back and forth on my computer as something runs that shouldn’t take that long to run, I decided to use a bit of my “free” time to say hello.

Life, both at work and at home, have been busy as summer comes to a close and the shorter days creep up on us. We’ve been busy with Cub Scouts for the little guy, getting firewood to keep the little misses warm and happy during the long winter months, and have been able to squeak in a few weekends of fun with the family.

Last month the whole family participated in the Susan G. Komen race for the cure. It was nice to get out and support a good cause. A friend of ours is a cancer survivor so that made all the more personal. I'm amazed some times at the number of people that will get out and support a cause like that. It's very moving at times.

We’ve spent a day or two out on the lake doing some more fishing before it gets too cold to get out there. I still want to get out a couple of more times with Mike to see if we can catch the big ones before the snow comes.

The family did take a day a couple of weekends ago to head out and do some camping. No, we didn’t sleep in any tents as the temperature that night got well below freezing and I’m just not that kind of camper. Earlier this summer the misses and I went hiking to West Fork Lake to spend the night and passed a spectacular cabin on the way up to the top. West Fork Cabin is a very nice cabin tucked in a little meadow way out in the middle of no-where.

We thought it would be a great place to take the kids. It’s only just over a mile hike from the trail-head to the cabin and not very steep. We packed up our stuff and headed out on a Friday afternoon to make sure we beat any other potential campers. We didn’t see a single soul until late the next day as were doing some fishing at a nearby lake. The cabin is great, 2 beds, wood stove, front porch, table, chairs, pots and pans, and a nice ax to chop up the firewood. The kids had a blast. We had great meals and enjoyed watching the full moon rise over the trees and light the little valley that we were in. I’ve posted some pictures to my Flickr site for you to browse.

In other news, for Rachel’s birthday I made her a castle cake. Andrew’s den leader was over that afternoon and saw the finished product and said I should get into baking for a living. I told him that I don’t think that was my calling, but I always have had the dream to own a restaurant and maybe start out by doing some catering. I guess he got the idea that I really wanted to do this and asked if I would be willing to cater the Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet this year instead of ordering in pizza. It sounded like fun so I said I would give it a shot. Well, one of the other parents overheard this whole conversation. She happens to be the head of the PTA at Andrew’s school and was busy organizing the winter fundraiser this year. Last year a local restaurant catered the event, but she thought it would be great to have one of the parents do it instead. So, I’ve been suckered into doing this one too. So, without me really taking this upon myself to start up a side job, I now have 2 gigs. I won’t be doing it for profit, but just to cover my costs. I do hope that if it goes well I might get some exposure to the parents at the fundraiser and may pick up some other events too. I do have grand ideas about how I would like to do this and I think it would be fun to see if I can. I gave the organizer for the school event an idea of the menu I was thinking about the other night and everyone seemed very excited. Cross your fingers that it all works out. Maybe someday I will get to cook for a living. Never know.

I see that this is probably already past the acceptable length for a blog post, so I better wrap it up. I will try to do a better job at keeping up on this going forward, but we all know how that goes for the average blogger. I will be out enjoying the beautiful fall weather, maybe taking a few day trips to see the sights and take some pics. I’ll post my happenings as they come up.

Good-bye

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home